This page has moved to a new address.

OOTD: Come Fly With Me... Let's Fly, Let's Fly Away...

Curvy Canadian: OOTD: Come Fly With Me... Let's Fly, Let's Fly Away...

Friday, July 8, 2011

OOTD: Come Fly With Me... Let's Fly, Let's Fly Away...

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd post a new OOTD post since I went to an art show on Wednesday night in Toronto and I thought I would dress nicely and take a few photos. When I was putting this outfit together I started with the dress (I always start with one piece that I want to wear and build my outfit from there, adding and subtracting pieces as I go - how do you guys do it?) and wanted to do a sort of nautical theme inspired outfit since the dress lends itself to that with the combination of navy blue and white piping around the sleeves and neckline. The outfit quickly morphed itself into something I hadn't expected as I began to add the pieces I wanted to wear. I just picked up the scarf at a favourite thrift store, so I started by adding that. I wanted to put some gold in because there's always gold involved in nautical theme stuff, so I put on the earrings. Then I wanted to add a red purse because that's also a colour frequently used in nautical imagery, so I tried that, but for some reason, it just wasn't working well with the other pieces. When I looked in the mirror, I realized that the scarf and the earrings were sort of making it look more like a 1950s-60s stewardess/flight attendant inspired outfit, and honestly, at that point we were running late, and so I just decided to run with it! I think it may have been some sort of subconscious manifestation of excitement for the new ABC series starting in the Fall called Pan-Am. Have you guys seen the preview for it? I will be watching, if only for the fashion. I loved the film Catch Me If You Can, and I think I'll also love this. Here's a link to the preview if you haven't seen it yet. I picked out a purse I also got on a recent thrifting outing that looks sort of like vintage luggage/a hat box, and a pair of aviator sunglasses that were a gift from Kmart, and I ended up with a bit of a happy accident of an outfit. What do you guys think? Has this ever happened to you before?

Like I said, I decided to just GO WITH IT... And I embraced it fully, as you can see... "The emergency exits are located at the front, middle and rear of the plane on both sides." 



































Here are some more pictures of the outfit and the pieces:



Dress - Forever 21+ (US)/Shoes - Redress NYC (originally from Target)/Belt -  Taken off a blouse from Dots/Purse, Scarf, and Earrings - Thrifted/ Sunglasses - Gifted from Kmart
When we got to the art show opening, which was being held at the Steam Whistle Brewery (and the display will be in their gallery for the entire month of July), there was a huge tent outside for a show called "The Railway Children." All around the tent were antique Canadian trains on loan from the Canadian National Railway museum, displayed to promote the play as well as interest in the history of the CNR. The oldest train on display, named Vicky, is a steam engine from the late 1800s and is actually used in the play (it goes through the tent during the play). If that's not enough to get people interested in theatre, I don't know what will. I really want to see this play now! There were CN operators on site to answer any logistical or historical questions for people as well. It was a really interesting display, and of course I couldn't resist taking some pictures with the trains for the blog... LOL. People must have thought that we were cheesy tourists or something. Oh well!

I made these photos look kind of vintage-y. What do you guys think? Do you like it?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, July 08, 2011 1:48:00 PM , Blogger Ariana said...

The dress is great on you!!! I love it so much!

 
At Friday, July 08, 2011 1:51:00 PM , Anonymous Agnes H. said...

Adorable!

 
At Friday, July 08, 2011 5:24:00 PM , Blogger Joy said...

Great outfit! The scarf is beautiful!

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:00:00 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

This makes me miss being a flight attendant! lol

I loooooved the strict dress code and being required to look so polished for work! So fun!

Love the whole ensemble :)

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:45:00 PM , Blogger Audrey W. said...

How adorable! I love thematic dressing.

Audrey W.
http://www.whatprettyface.com/

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:42:00 PM , Blogger Rikke said...

You look unbelievably cute! I love it. Well done with the pose, too. LOL. I don't think I've ever ended up in such a different direction as to where I was going with an outfit, but I ALWAYS end up with something different than planned. I use the same method as you, picking the most desired item of the day and then building everything up around it. xoxo Rikke
http://stickysweetdanish.blogspot.com

 
At Monday, July 11, 2011 9:33:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

Thanks for all the love you guys. You're all fantastic! You always manage to make my day with your amazing, generous comments. xoxoxoxo

 
At Friday, July 15, 2011 12:35:00 PM , Blogger DoubleXL said...

oufff luvvv it!!!

 
At Monday, August 29, 2011 12:32:00 AM , Anonymous Grace said...

That dress really compliments you!

Grace & Company

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:28:00 AM , Anonymous Reginaottf said...

The dress is great on you!!! I love it so much!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home