This page has moved to a new address.

Cleaning out my closet...

Curvy Canadian: Cleaning out my closet...

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cleaning out my closet...

Hey Everyone!

I decided to clean out my horribly disorganied closet so that I would be more easily able to pick out outfits. Well! I found a lot of things I forgot I even had. It was like shopping in my own closet! I've been putting it off for a long time, because honestly, who wants to clean out a closet in their spare time? It was quite the task, but I feel like I have a better sense of my wardrobe's strengths and weaknesses after having done it, and I also feel like I will be able to pick out better outfits. Here are some pictures from the process...


MESSY Closet!!!

I took all the stuff out so I could totally reorganize
Ahhh! That's better!
And I'm done!

A few tips for cleaning out your closet:

1. Try to make the experience as pleasant as possible (difficult, I know). If you have a television in your room, put on a good show to distract you from the fact that you are actually cleaning out your wardrobe. If not, turn on some good music to keep yourself motivated. Take breaks if necessary (I did!).

2. Make sure you have some sort of organizing principle. For my bottoms, I arranged the items into groups: trousers, jeans, shorts/capris, leggings/athletic wear, and skirts. This way, I know how to find everything. For my tops, I arranged them into everyday wear tops, going-out tops, career wear, sweaters, jackets, and dresses. You can also choose to arrange by colour. Whatever works for you! As long as your way of organizng makes it easier for you to find and use things, then it's a good system.

3. Donate or sell any clothes that don't fit anymore or that you haven't worn in the last season they'd be appropriate in. If you're not wearing something, it's just taking up room in your closet that you could use for something more fabulous that you'll love and that will make you feel great. Getting rid of it will make your wardrobe and your life more efficient. If the clothes are too small and you're hanging on to them, seeing them will just make you feel bad about yourself. If they're too big, what's that point in keeping them? Make two piles - stuff you're keeping and stuff you're getting rid of. Don't allow yourself a maybe pile. Be a bit ruthless and edit your wardrobe accordingly.

I hope this post has been helpful and has inspired you to organize your closet!

Stay tuned for a post on my Pick of the Week soon!


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:36:00 PM , Blogger Tye said...

Oh wow..what a great turnout. I just cleaned mine out a few weeks back and boy oh boy was it hard work. I hope I can keep it cleaned this time :-)

 
At Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:54:00 AM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

Yeah, that's the hard part! This took the better part of a day, but it was totally worth it! I can find whatever I'm looking for now. And I found some stuff I'd forgotten about that got lost in the vortex of mess that was my closet, so now I have a few more items to wear.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home