This page has moved to a new address.

OOTDs: Showing a Friend Around Town

Curvy Canadian: OOTDs: Showing a Friend Around Town

Monday, August 8, 2011

OOTDs: Showing a Friend Around Town

Everyone,

My friend Jen came over from Ireland (a couple of weeks ago, now, actually), and I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures of what I wore while I was showing her around town. On day one of her trip, we went to the Toronto Islands and visited Kensington Market and Chinatown. On day two, we took a bus tour of Toronto and went to Casa Loma, and on day three we headed down to Niagara Falls. I hope she had fun! I know I had fun showing her all of the sights!

I got this shot of the Toronto skyline as we made our way back into town on the ferry from the Toronto Islands. It was such a perfect day to go to the islands. The dreamiest sort of weather - warm, but with a lovely cool breeze coming in from the lake.


The next day, we went to Casa Loma, a castle located in Toronto that was built at the turn of the century by Sir Henry Pellatt, a very wealthy Torontonian with a monopoly on electricity. The provincial government decided that it was not fair to let one man have this sort of a monopoly, so they fixed that and started offering Hydro power to Toronto. This development, as well as a number of other poor investments on Pellatt's part, lead to his rapid financial demise, and he had to sell everything he owned for a fraction of its worth in order to avoid bankruptcy so that he could keep his royal title (I'm not sure if the British monarchy will still strip you of your title if you file for Chapter 11, but it's definitely interesting). He ended up living in a small apartment above the garage in his former chauffeur's home. 


It's just as beautiful inside, with stunning furnishings and an amazing ballroom and library. The opulence is astounding, especially considering Pellatt's modest accommodations after his financial ruination. Jen wore this dress that I'd been eyeing for awhile on Dorothy Perkins' website and I recognized it right away. I think I have an internet window shopping addiction problem! Still absolutely love the dress. It has a lovely bow in the back as well.

I also really liked what my sister Gill (right) had on, and it was sort of weird that we ended up in the same colours! So I decided to force her to allow me to put her picture up here too ;D She told me where she got the dress, but I can't, for the life of me, remember... Was it H&M? If you're reading Gill, can you comment with where you got it from? 

Top - ASOS Curve/Shorts - Dots/Bracelets - Forever 21/Belt - Thrifted/Purse - Costa Blanca/Necklace - Charming Charlie/Shoes - Target/Sunglasses - Gifted from Kmart


Casa Loma is a really beautiful sight, and the picture doesn't even do it justice. If you're ever in Toronto, make sure to check it out. My eldest sister got married there. So beautiful. 

The next day, we went to Niagara Falls. We did a walk along the falls, got some Linner (that's a combination of lunch and dinner) and decided to get on the Maid of the Mist. Hilarious! We all got absolutely soaked, so it was a good thing that we brought sturdier ponchos than the ones we were given by the Maid of the Mist people. My mascara was running like nobody's business. It was amazing how close to the falls you get though. Pretty incredible. We also got on the Niagara Skywheel, which is like a very high tech ferris wheel. You get your own completely enclosed pod, sort of like the London Eye, but with much smaller pods. The view is awesome. This is the (comfy) outfit I wore for our day (including a lot of walking) at Niagara Falls:

Sorry for all the nublies in this shot. I have to go over this top with my nubly shaver!
That's the Falls in the background. Top and Necklace- Forever 21/Tights - Torrid/Shoes - Target via Redress NYC/Belt - Redress NYC/Purse - Thrifted/Sunglasses - Courtesy of Kmart

And just to show you guys how seriously I take myself, and also that I can rock anything, even a translucent blue poncho layered on top of a bright yellow rubber poncho while soaking wet, I've decided to share this picture that my sister took just after I got off the Maid of the Mist. Enjoy! Rockin' a poncho.







Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2011 6:33:00 PM , Blogger Yvette said...

Love the combo of the animal print with the heart accent, I can never get enough of ASOS Curve!

Julia

http://fashionandhistrionics.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, August 08, 2011 7:24:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I TOTALLY LOVEEEEEEEEEEE that shirt. WOW. It looks GREAT on you

http://mythriftedcloset.blogspot.com/

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:42:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love all the looks...especially the one near the falls. lol

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:35:00 AM , Blogger Jessica Dee said...

I love all the photos, but I adore the last one the most, your totally rocking those ponchos!!

Jessica xx
Too Many Sequins

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:17:00 AM , Blogger Wait Until The Sunset said...

you look beautiful! You look fierce in the first outfit- I love it!

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:13:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love all the outfits, you look amazing on it.

 
At Friday, August 26, 2011 12:00:00 PM , Blogger crystalmicheala said...

i have yearned for that asos shirt ever since i first saw it on another blog and realized i would never have it.
you rock it.
asos is one of my lifelines!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home