This page has moved to a new address.

Six Take: Film and Television - Mad Men!

Curvy Canadian: Six Take: Film and Television - Mad Men!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Six Take: Film and Television - Mad Men!

Hey Guys,

It's time for my September six-take post! This month, my fellow bloggers and I decided to interpret the style from each of our favourite fashionable films and television shows. Come on, you knew I was going to pick Mad Men. I absolutely adore the style from Mad Men. The women are so beautiful, and each has their own unique and individual style. While January Jones' character Betty Draper is my favourite, donning indulgent, beautifully full dresses with fitted bodices atop amazingly pouffy petticoats, Christina Hendricks' character Joan Holloway also has amazing style and such voluptuous curves! Her fitted dresses and combination of pencil skirts and colourful blouses give her an enviable style - no wonder she ended up working at Hermes after leaving Stirling Cooper! Elizabeth Moss' character Peggy Olson also has a few outfits that are nice (but, unfortunately, just as many that are awful - I don't think the writers meant for her to be especially fashionable). Even many of the secondary characters, such as Pete's wife Trudy, are the epitome of late 50s and early 60s style, looking absolutely stunning and historically accurate to boot. Janie Bryant, the show's costume designer, is doing a remarkable job ensuring that the women look wonderful and that their style is representative of the era.
Elizabeth Moss as Peggy Olson
















Hat and Purse - Thrifted/Dress - Courtesy of Penningtons/Shoes - Penney's (Ireland)/Necklace - Laura/Bangles - Forever 21







































































































































    
January Jones as Betty Draper

































Dress - Thrifted (I also lopped off the sleeves and added the white trim - it made a world of difference!)/Earrings and Necklace - Thrifted/Shoes - Payless/Bangles - Forever 21/Belt - Taken off a top I got from Dots





































































































































































Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway









You guys might remember this picture from awhile back, but I felt like it was very Joan Holloway-esque, and thus, re-post worthy. Top - Thrifted/Skirt and Necklace - Forever 21+/Tights - Hue brand from The Bay/Shoes - Dorothy Perkins/Ring - given to my by my mom

Same with this one... It was taken at Lola and Gigi when I visited and showcased their store. This dress is an Anna Scholz








































I absolutely adore 1950s and 1960s fashion! So what do you guys think? Do you watch the show? Did I capture Mad Men's style?

Make sure you visit the other lovely six take bloggers to see interpretations of their favourite television series and films!







Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:39:00 PM , Anonymous Nicole said...

I think you did a great job interpreting their styles. I am pretty behind on the seasons (for example I didn't know Joan left the agency) but from what I remember it's bang on. I really must sit down and catch up!

I also just wanted to say I'm jealous of your thrifting finds! I really need to find the patience to comb through the racks at thrift stores just so I could make finds like yours.

 
At Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:09:00 PM , Blogger Nikol said...

That yellow dress is to die for.

http://turquoiseandtangerine.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, September 05, 2011 6:18:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lines never look good on a bigger woman...just makes them look bigger IMO

 
At Tuesday, September 06, 2011 6:46:00 AM , Blogger Full of Fabulous said...

the Betty outfit is my FAV of these looks for you! Gorgeous... in like everyway!!
xo

 
At Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:31:00 PM , Blogger geetabix said...

I especially love the Betty and Joan-inspired ones. Did you wear these out anywhere special?

 
At Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:35:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

@Nicole - Thanks! You should totally catch up on the seasons before the 5th one airs next summer. PanAm should be good too. I can't wait for it! Sorry about the spoiler! :S

@Nikol - Thanks! Most people probably would have passed it up because of the hideous sleeves that were on it... I just cut them off and away I went. I live by Tim Gunn's mantra - "Make it work."

@Anon - didn't anyone every tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all? The dress may not be your taste, but it's definitely mine... After all, I did pick it out and post it. We're not all trying to look smaller, nor do we all agree that smaller = more aesthetically appealing. I love this dress, even if it does make me look bigger, IYO...

@fulloffabulous - Thank you! Betty is my favourite from the show in terms of fashion. She absolutely always looks stunning. I envy her for all of her dresses!

@geetabix - Thanks! No, unfortunately... I was running late with this post (since it's a six-take and I'm supposed to post at the same time as the other bloggers I'm working with - I was already three days late), and it was just way too hot to wear either of these dresses to the place I was headed this day. I plan on wearing the Betty one again soon. Not sure for what, though!

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:59:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@kward no noone did tell me that...I believe in honesty and I tell it like it is. Can't handle it, not my opinion you post things like this on the internet people are going to comment and give their own opinions

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:38:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

@anon - Fair enough that people will give their own opinions about things, but I personally consider it not very classy to say something derogatory about someone's personal style choices and hide behind "anonymous." Usually, I only comment on peoples' blog posts if I see something that particularly catches my fancy. I couldn't be bothered commenting if they have on something I don't like. What's the point of that? To make the other person feel worse? I like what I chose to wear, and that's why I bought it and put it on. It's not that I can't handle criticism - I definitely can - I am rather thick-skinned, in fact - I just can't fathom why you would bother taking the time out of your day to come on here and post that you don't like something I have on. Style is a personal choice - and just because you don't like something, doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same way. Also, just because I've posted pictures on the internet does not automatically give you (or anyone else for that matter) a license to be offensive. Because the internet can be so anonymous, people think that it's appropriate to make rude comments like this. It's not. Think about it - if you saw me wearing this dress in the street or at a party, would you come up to me and say the same thing to my face? If the answer's no, then you probably shouldn't post whatever it is you're thinking.

 
At Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:12:00 PM , Anonymous Livs said...

@kward
Yeah I would actually...I would come up to you and tell you what your wearing isn't right.

 
At Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:39:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

@livs - then I would respond:

- you are a rude person
- you have boundary issues
- I don't really care what you think
- style and fashion are subjective. There's no such thing and "not right." This dress may not be what you would have picked, but I stand by my decision to look big AND beautiful in it, since those two things are not mutually exclusive.

 
At Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:42:00 PM , Anonymous Livs said...

@kward I hope to meet you soon to hear you say that :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home