This page has moved to a new address.

Catching Up... I don't even know where to start! And Plus Size Shopping in Edmonton

Curvy Canadian: Catching Up... I don't even know where to start! And Plus Size Shopping in Edmonton

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Catching Up... I don't even know where to start! And Plus Size Shopping in Edmonton

Hey Guys!

It's been SUCH a hectic summer for me this year... So much on the go! I feel like I haven't updated you all in forever! Around the beginning of July, I took a trip out to Alberta with my sisters. We got to see lots of really amazing stuff (we visited Jasper and Banff, and stopped off at Lake Louise, beautiful!). I also got some shopping done (of course!). I felt it was about time to give you all the scoop!

Me and my big sister Linda... It was a bit chilly, so I got to break out my new Spanner jacket from Lola and Gigi

Me and my big sister Gillian



Stunning Lake Louise!

Canada Day in Banff with Mounties!

While we we driving through the national parks, I saw all sorts of animals: mountain goats, elk, deer, and even a bear - oh my! It was very pretty!

Once we got back to the city (Edmonton) it was definitely time to do some shopping. Especially since Edmonton has the biggest shopping malls in all of North America (the fifth largest in the entire world). I stopped in to a lot of stores and ended up getting some great stuff on sale from Anthropologie, J. Crew, and The Bay. No, you didn't miss anything... neither J.Crew nor Anthropologie carry plus sizes. BUT they do sometimes have things that are stretchy or oversized enough to fit, and I got very lucky with several pieces that I'm sure you'll see in upcoming posts!

After the mall, we decided to check out a few of the independent boutiques on Whyte Avenue. OMG. Retail heaven. So many beautiful, trendy stores. With much more reasonable prices than comparable boutiques here in Toronto. Again, not much available here in regards to actual plus sizes, but I did come across one boutique called Oak + Fort that was absolutely amazing and had great stretchy and oversized pieces. The sales associates were really helpful. I think they caught the drift of what I was looking for and started bringing me pieces that were likely to work/fit on my body type. It was really amazing. Often when I walk into a straight sized store I feel really unwelcome, but here, this couldn't be further from the truth. I was really happy to shop here.









I came away with a really cool, structured type of white t-shirt, and a woven step-hem sweatshirt... Gorgeous!
After doing a bit of research, I also found a store called Fashion Addition in Edmonton. I decided to drop in and check them out. Here are a few pictures from the store. 
















Hey, there's a familiar face! It's @liisw!


There is an emphasis on career and active wear and I would definitely recommend this store for women 35 and up who are looking for high-quality brand name clothing for work, travel, leisure and/or exercise. 

When I got back from Edmonton, I really had to hit the ground running to get the word out about BIG Deal Toronto, so I made sure to visit the Fuller Woman Expo, which was held at Yonge/Dundas Square to hand out some postcards and mingle. I also got to see my friends Sasha and Garcia's runway showcase. Their line's name is Flaws of Couture, and it's totally amazing.

Dress - H&M (size L, but very stretchy)/Shoes - Payless/Earrings - Shoppers Drug Mart/Purse - Random store in NYC/Sunglasses - F21



New Friends! I finally got to meet fellow blogger Lala Joan






This piece is actually from SexyPlus Clothing. If memory serves me, it's a Joseph Ribkoff piece. LOVE.
After BIG Deal Toronto, I had to drop something off at a Caribbana Mas Camp for one of my girls Sarah (who came in all the way from Montreal for the event) and I couldn't resist taking some pictures of my own outfit and the amazing costumes! Man, I really would love to do Caribbana! Maybe next year, lol!

Body Suit - ASOS Curve/Skirt and Petticoat - Sofistafunk/Shoes - New Look/Purse and Bracelet - Random Store in the 6th and 36th area of NYC






I hope you've enjoyed this (somewhat jumbled) catch-up post and review of where to shop for plus size clothes in Edmonton. I have a fatkini post coming up VERY soon (nervous!) and also a post about my fabulous vacation in Montreal, Quebec City, and PEI and all the fab clothes I wore during it ;)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:38:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great summer you've had. I loved so many of those clothes! The Lola and Gigi jacket really suits you. Lots of great looks!

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:54:00 AM , Anonymous Nancy P said...

That's a really nice green jacket from Spanner and you look awesome in the Body Suit - ASOS Curve/Skirt and Petticoat ... very cute.

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:50:00 PM , Anonymous mitch said...

Wonderful photos and beautiful places, must have been so fun. Body suit and petticoat really look gorgeous on you. Sure is a great summer!

 
At Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:44:00 AM , Anonymous Crystal said...

I love the black and white sun dress you were wearing. It's looks really good on you!

 
At Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:46:00 AM , Blogger DoubleXL said...

Hi globetrotter!!..lol
I love the Asos bodysuit and if you really want to do Caribana next year just let me know. ;-)

Sarah aka XXL
QueenSizedFlava.com

 
At Monday, August 20, 2012 8:59:00 PM , Blogger Amanda K said...

Great post!

I love Oak + Fort, the staff there are always so nice. I find most places here are.

Anthro here in Etown is the BEST! Always well stocked and neat. Great staff too.

 
At Monday, August 27, 2012 6:35:00 AM , Blogger Perogyo said...

So glad you had a good time in my home province! Fashion Addition is always my first stop when I get to Canada. Thanks for making me homesick. LOL!

I really love your Asos Curve outfit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home