This page has moved to a new address.

The Fatkini Post

Curvy Canadian: The Fatkini Post

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Fatkini Post

Hey Guys!

So I've been swearing up and down all summer that I would do a fatkini post. I wanted to do it earlier in the season so you could see where I got my swimwear and pick up a suit yourself if you wanted, but the summer got away from me and I didn't make it to the beach until a couple of weeks ago! I've been debating whether to post this or not because I'm studying to work in a professional field and have been concerned about this surfacing in the job interview process. However, the field I work in is also one which values logic, reason, and unsettling dominant ideologies. The reason I have decided to post these is that the fat body is a highly politicized one, and the only way we can begin to change that is to expose more people to it - to show them that it is not the shocking thing that they might imagine it to be. I've also decided to post these because I want to inspire more women to be confident with their bodies, to walk out onto the beach in a bikini and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

Remember: "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

Note: I'm wearing a cover-up in some of the shots because I am very fair and burn super easily... Always wear sunscreen or a light UV protecting cover up to make sure you're not harming your skin.

Bathing suit - Monif C. via Gussied Up Plus/Cover Up - H&M Plus (US)



Bikini - Panache c/o Bare Plus/Cover-Up - New Look (UK)






Bikini - H&M+ (US)/Cover-Up - Joe Fresh/Hat - Chapel Hats





Which suit is your favourite?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:35:00 PM , Blogger Dee said...

you look fabulous Karen! I am absolutely in love with the polkadot bikini. *swoon*

Here's to you unsettling those dominant ideologies!

you're such an inspiration.

xxo, dee

xxellefatshion.blogspot.ca

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:35:00 PM , Blogger dreag21 said...

Awesome. All simply awesome. I especially like the last suit/look. You are rocking that hat girl!

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:04:00 PM , Anonymous Laura said...

You look great! Fuchsia suits you amazingly well : ) And I looooooove that magnificent hat in the last set of photos *u*

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:23:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You look awesome in the binkini pics. Go you!!

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:27:00 PM , Anonymous Suzanne said...

Absolutely adorable as always! I think the polka dot bikini looks fantastic and like it the best. Interesting that it provides the least 'coverage' but I think it's the most flattering. I second Dee, you are an inspiration; huge respect.

Suzanne
www.yogazoneplus.com

 
At Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:02:00 PM , Blogger Diablo Firefly said...

Karen you are stunning in the fushia and polka dot suits! I completely agree with Suzanne that isn't it funny how the one suit that has the least coverage is the most flattering. Seriously takes that "cover it all up" attitude and pokes it in the eye. :) Seriously though as a plus size woman I salute you, as a woman I grant you a great deal of respect. Fashion week may have Navabi, but we Canadian's have you.

Ps: I had to show my daughter your post and she say's you are beautiful!

xo
Jade from Newmarket

 
At Friday, August 24, 2012 4:56:00 AM , Anonymous MsStephanieCatherine said...

Polka dots! ALWAYS polka dots. Which is not to say the other two aren't also stunning, just ... POLKA DOTS!

 
At Friday, August 24, 2012 1:30:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great in all of them! I also LOVE that hat!

 
At Friday, August 24, 2012 2:53:00 PM , Blogger Malene said...

You look great! I love the H&M bikini - it just didn't work for my boobs at all.

 
At Friday, August 24, 2012 3:02:00 PM , Blogger Julia said...

Karen you are my hero. You look so beautiful in all of your bathing suits. I really wanted to buy a bikini to wear in Italy this summer but didn't have the guts. You have inspired me my friend. Thank you so much.
Julia

 
At Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:44:00 AM , Blogger Gazel M. said...

more the power to you for being so confident!
i dont think i've reached that point... and i dont think its just being confident for me either, it's just i can't bare the thought of exposing that much skin to anyone else but my partner. heh.


bonjourgazel.com

 
At Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:57:00 PM , Anonymous raquel said...

i'm in love with the bathing suit and the polka-dots bikini ! you look beautiful c:

 
At Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:38:00 PM , Anonymous Crystal said...

You look fantastic!!! I love that you have more than one, lol! And for me, the dots. They are fantastic! Thank you for inspiring me once again!

 
At Monday, August 27, 2012 6:28:00 AM , Blogger Perogyo said...

I love the polka dot bikini! And that hat! I want to steal your hat.

I don't wear bikinis for one reason only- I need to cover as much as I can so I don't burn. I need one of those old fashioned neck to knees suit.

 
At Monday, August 27, 2012 6:29:00 AM , Blogger Caitlin of Closet Confessions said...

You look SO amazing. I am not even kidding. It makes me so excited for Summer, and I really cannot wait to get back to the beach here in Aus!

I love every single piece you have, I don't have the confidence to wear swimming costumes like these, but you look amazing! GO GIRL!

 
At Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:44:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You. Are. Balsy. It's amazing how confident you are being able to sport a bikini. You look awesome doing it! I know I couldn't do it. Props to you! I like the colorful 2-piece. Peace & Luv!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home