This page has moved to a new address.

What to Wear for Hallowe'en - Some Options for Plus Size Women

Curvy Canadian: What to Wear for Hallowe'en - Some Options for Plus Size Women

Saturday, October 15, 2011

What to Wear for Hallowe'en - Some Options for Plus Size Women

Hallowe'en used to be so frustrating for me. All of my friends would buy these adorable little outfits like a sexy nurse, sexy cop, sexy angel, sexy devil, etc... and I would feel totally left out. I was never able to get cute stuff like that in my size. It was either the cheap plus size polyester floor length nun's habit, or I was on my own. Needless to say, I took the latter route. I am a fairly creative person, so I took to putting together my own costumes. For many years, I just went as a cat or a bunny with good make up, using my own black or white clothes and topping it off with a one-size-fits all pair of ears and tail. A couple of years ago, I found an amazing store that sells really beautiful masks. It's based in St. Jacob's, Ontario and it's called Dream Power. They have a couple of masks up on their website, but it's really nothing compared to what they have in-store. If you're anywhere near there, you should drop in and see what they've got. Peter and I both got our masks from there last year:

I can't remember where my wings were from - I've had them for years. I think it was a hallowe'en pop up store

This was a pretty low-key hallowe'en for us. We were just hanging out with my family and spending time with our nieces, who got to go out trick-or-treating. For that, a mask and wings is perfect.

When I am going to a hallowe'en party, or out to a pub or bar, though, I want something a bit more elaborate. This was my costume from two hallowe'ens ago, when I went as Alice in Wonderland:

Everything except wig - Torrid/Wig - Queen of Hearts Costumes



















I love Torrid's hallowe'en costumes. They don't have Alice this year, but they do have the Queen of Hearts, a bumble bee, a gypsy, a zombie prom queen, a cartoon-mouse-who-shall-remain-unnamed-due-to-licensing-legalities, a super-hero-who-shall-also-remain-unnamed-due-to-licensing-legalities, a cat, a race car driver, a can-can girl, a pirate, and (perhaps my favourite) a 1960s inspired flight attendant!


































So many options! And they have amazing accessories to go with each costume so you can jazz it up a bit if you want. Check out what they've got for hallowe'en here. I can certainly speak to the high quality of the costumes that Torrid sells, as well as the value for your money. I find most hallowe'en costumes so cheap and flimsy. Typically, the fabric used is terrible and it looks as if the item was thrown together because the fit/stitching is so shoddy. You won't find that with Torrid's costumes. They are awesome.

If you're looking for something a bit more provocative, or are just interested in seeing what else is out there, you should definitely check out Hips and Curves They sell plus size lingerie, and have a few really awesome pieces in for hallowe'en. Here are a few of my faves:


If you're looking for something a bit more conservative, or again, just for a few more options, this website has a variety of options and they do ship to Canada...

I'm not sure what I'm doing for this hallowe'en yet. I want to see what masks Dream Power has, and I should be going down to St. Jacob's this weekend. So tell me, ladies, what are you dressing up as this year?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:24:00 PM , Blogger MissMod said...

Halloween isn't really celebrated over here in Aus, which sucks :( it looks like a lot of fun.

 
At Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:41:00 AM , Blogger mispapelicos said...

Really sexy outfits, wowwwwwwwwwwwww.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 
At Monday, October 17, 2011 3:54:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

I think Hallowe'en is spreading. It used to just be a North American thing, but now there are a few European countries celebrating it too. Ireland, for instance, never used to celebrate it, but now they do... Maybe it'll make it over to Aus soon!!! Hopefully!

 
At Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:58:00 AM , Blogger confusedbrit said...

Over in the UK, we didnt really used to celebrate it, so as a plus size preson, I didnt used to have to really worry about fancy dress, but recently its become much more of an issue, and I've started to dread it!

Last year I used my own clothes and bought a one size fits all cape and hat to go as a Harry Potter inspired witch....I was thinking cat this year, as figured pair of ears, own clothes and drawn on whiskers would be fairly easy to do! However I may have to check out your recommendations and see if any ship over this way....some seriously good suggestions!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home